Thursday, April 11, 2013

Rodes City and Papa John's

Since my last post I have raced twice and had some great success.  I raced both the Rodes City Run 10K and the Papa John's 10-miler and got 5th place in each of them, won money running for the first time and set PR's in both races.  In addition, I believe that I "won" the Triple Crown of Running overall  with the fastest cumulative time for the 3 races combined.  This was partly because those ahead of me in the standings going into the 10-miler didn't race. 

While the placing results were the same, each race played out a little differently.  I went into both with the mindset that I would go out with the second group and try to push the pace from there.  This strategy leads to one of two results, either I am able to hold on and run a PR or I fall apart and struggle to the finish.  Luckily, both races resulted in the former, well sort of.

I was relaxed and alert at the beginning of the Rodes City 10K and was in a great position at the front of the second group when the first move happened.  I wasn't expecting the move to happen just after the mile marker, but it was the first (and basically only) hill on the course and Jonathan Reynolds made his move.  As it turned out, I was the only one (of about six) in our group that was willing to respond and we quickly created a gap.  I had to work to get back to his shoulder but when I did, we worked really well together and pushed the pace.  We extended our lead on the next group enough that I realized early that I was going to be in the money (baring that struggle to the finish).  Luckily for me, I didn't have to beat Jonathan to get in the money because he had a lot more pure speed than I did.  I tried to come back one last time, but it wasn't happening.  I still was able to set a PR and get a check.  I lowered my PR from 34:08 down to 32:36.  

My lesson learned during the 10K: Be alert at all times for the deciding move.

In contrast, at the Papa John's 10-miler, I tried too hard to make the deciding move early and found myself all alone.  Added to being alone, I had also gone out hard.  Maybe too hard because it was harder than the 10K and in contrast to that course, the 10-miler is not flat.  Well the first three miles are, but the next 3 1/2 miles are pretty challengingly hilly.  Luckily,  the last 3 1/2 miles are on flat roads.  My training had me ready for the flat, but not as much so for the hills.  I entered the hills 5th on the road with what I believed to be a sizable lead, but the early pace and my lack of hard running on hilly courses caused my pace to slow considerably and by the time I got back to flat land I was being chased.  I could tell because the cheering behind me was happening more quickly than before.  I held him off for awhile, but I could only put up a fight for a couple strides when he caught me.  It was a struggle to the finish, but it could have been worse.  It was a slightly positive split, but again a :51 PR.  If you do the math from my recap, I was 5th through the hills and got passed by one runner on the run in to the finish so the results have me listed in...........you guessed it, 5th place.  Hey, I'm not a mathematician, but 5th place means another check, so I will take it.

Lesson learned from the 10-miler: Be optimistic but realistic with your pacing.

I have fun racing and I have fun challenging myself to stay closer to that front pack.  If you are tired of going into each race with the same plan and coming out with the same results, then maybe it is time to stretch your limits.  You may fail, but you also may succeed.  Which one are you more afraid of?



No comments:

Post a Comment